As you can probably tell by now, beauty is something I'm going to talk about often on this blog. The first blog I wanted to start was a beauty blog - I even got so far as coming up with a name before the idea stalled. The difference now is my focus on green beauty and choosing products that are truly natural. As I've said before, the personal care industry is vastly unregulated. Meaning any of the products you use that boast being "green" or "organic" are probably anything but. Companies will do anything to hide ingredients from you, meaning skin issues you have might be caused by the very products you use to clear them up.
Sensitive Skin Realizations
About half a year ago, I finally came to the very obvious conclusion that I have sensitive skin. For years I was self-conscious about my red cheeks and covered them up with make-up. I figured that was how my skin was and nothing but foundation could fix it. But once I started paying closer attention to my beauty routine, I began to notice the red skin didn't come until after I used certain products (moisturizer, for example). Obviously, that's not how products are supposed to work. They shouldn't make your skin worse after using them. Yet that's exactly what they were doing. The day I came to this realization was the day I threw half of my personal care products in the trash and started fresh.
A Life Renewed by Facial Oil
I bet you're all going to be appalled by my next statement: I have extremely oily skin and the only moisturizer I use is a facial oil. Yes. I add more oil on top of my oily skin. After my discovery that I have sensitive skin, I began to look for solutions that would nourish my skin and not upset it. This is when I turned to my oil lady, Meagan, and had her supply me with some essential oils to use in a facial oil blend I wanted to create. After a bit of research (ok a lot of research..), I discovered the best blend for my oily acne prone skin would be a combination of jojoba oil, rosehip oil, grapeseed oil, frankincense, geranium, and tea tree oil. This oil combination has done wonders for my skin in balancing my oil production and keeping my skin truly moisturized instead of the usual shiny mess on my forehead and nose. Yes, even oily skin needs to be moisturized properly with lightweight oils so your skin doesn't freak out and over-produce oil to create a greasy mess. This oil blend completely changed my skincare routine and I couldn't be happier with the progress I've seen in my skin.
New Routine, New Confidence
It was like a switch flipped in my head once I started making more green choices for my beauty routine. The second I stopped wearing a foundation mask to hide my flaws was the moment I stopped being insecure about them. Don't get me wrong...I have my moments when I'm not so happy about the acne and the red scars I have on my face..but 98% of the time I don't think twice about the imperfections on my face.
My skin says nothing about my inner beauty or my worth as a human, so why keep piling on make-up that barely matches my skintone and only covers up problems instead of fixing them? Not to mention that ever since I switched to this new routine, my skin has actually gotten better because I'm giving it the moisture and treatment it needs instead of clogging my pores with toxic comedogenic make-up. If I can convince a single reader to embark on a journey to self acceptance and a more natural beauty routine, then I'll be incredibly happy. Speaking of beauty routine...let's get to the actual products.
My (Current) Favorite Products
I know I took a looong journey to get to the actual promised content of this post. But I figured a little background was appropriate so you could understand why I use these products. Or maybe it was overkill (this is the more likely situation). But now we're here and I'm going to tell you the favorite products in my beauty bag I can't live without.
- Cleanse my skin and remove make up with Simple Micellar Cleansing Water
- If I'm taking a shower, I use the Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Cleanser* (I hate using face washes outside of the shower because I always get water all over myself...total mess)
- Thayers Peach Witch Hazel as a toner for my break out prone skin (I had to get peach because its my favorite fruit..obviously)
- I finish up with a oil serum to help keep my acne at bay - Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum* (this product and the cleanser both scored a 1 on Think Dirty which is pretty much perfect in my book - read about Think Dirty here if you have no idea what I'm taking about)
*I can't recommend both of the Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing products enough. In fact I'm so in love I may just make a post all about them at a later date.
Morning Routine (make-up included!):
- If I'm not being lazy I'll use the Thayer's Witch Hazel again in the morning (most of the time I'm incredibly lazy..)
- Next comes a few drops of my facial oil blend which I give a few minutes to soak in before putting anything else on my skin.
- I move onto my eyebrows next with a drugstore eyebrow pencil that just...gets the job done but not much else. I'ts not even worth mentioning the brand (I'm open to suggestions of a new brand to try...any good eyebrow pencils out there worth a look??)
- Then comes eyelashes which I give a simple coat or two of essence Lash Princess Volume Mascara which is a choice that came from a lot of sampling of volume mascara and loving the results of this one (and the price tag!).
- I finish off with a dusting of Laura Geller Balance-n-Brighten Baked Color Correcting Foundation in Fair that helps correct some of my redness and imperfections without covering my freckles or other unique features of my face - so so in love with this product.
That's it! My routine has become so simple I can often finish it in just a few minutes. I'm about as low maintenance you can get on a daily basis and I wouldn't have it any other way. It took me a while to get to this point of self-acceptance with the easiest morning routine ever and now that I'm here I wouldn't change a thing! This routine promises to continue changing and evolving as I find new products but please comment below if you have any questions! I've put a lot of research into the products I use so I can keep talking about them for daaaays.